On Nov. 10, 1845, Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin and Louis Florent Gillet, CSsR, founded the IHM Sisters. Mother Theresa, Charlotte Schaaf and Theresa Renauld became the first members of the new religious community.
In January, the sisters established St. Mary’s Young Ladies’ Academy; 40 students arrived.
The IHM Sisters began opening schools in and around Monroe.
Bishop Lefevere sent Mother Theresa to Pennsylvania as local superior; the Pennsylvania and Monroe IHMs separated.
The IHM Sisters opened St. Joseph – their first school in Detroit. A year later, they opened their first school outside of Michigan – St. Mary, in Painesville, Ohio.
The Detroit diocese deeded the Motherhouse and Academy property along the River Raisin to the IHM Sisters.
The first college classes were offered at St. Mary College and Academy. A four-year college degree program was established five years later.
The practice of sending some IHM postulants to the University of Michigan for advanced study began.
The IHM Constitutions received Papal approval. The IHM Sisters voted for the first time in national and state elections.
The sisters purchased land and began plans to move St. Mary College to Detroit at the request of Bishop Gallagher.
The IHM Sisters opened St. Felicitas, their first school in Chicago.
Marygrove College opened in Detroit.
St. Mary Academy (1905 building) was destroyed by fire.
The new Motherhouse and Academy were built.
Immaculata High School in Detroit, built and sponsored by the IHMs, opened.
The first mission outside the continental United States opened in Cayey, Puerto Rico.
The IHM Sisters opened schools in Alabama, Florida, California, Minnesota and New Mexico.
IHM initiative generated the Sister Formation Movement, a process of integrated spiritual, intellectual and professional development widely adopted by religious communities.
Marian High School in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., built and sponsored by the IHMs, opened.
Immaculate Heart of Mary High School in Westchester, Ill., built and sponsored by the IHMs, opened.
Four sisters helped form the Detroit-Recife Mission Team to work with the poor in Recife, Brazil.
Religious habits were modified. Maryhill College, a co-ordinate college for women at St. Edward’s University, opened in Texas.
The IHMs sent three sisters to Uganda, East Africa.
The IHM Sisters opened missions in Grenada, West Indies; Honduras; Ghana, West Africa; Kenya; and among Native Americans in the United States. They assisted Vietnamese orphans and refugees.
The IHM Associate program began.
The IHM Sisters opened missions in Zimbabwe, South Africa and Mexico.
St. Mary Academy merged with Catholic Central High School in Monroe.
Earth-friendly methods and materials were used to renovate the Motherhouse into a model of sustainable living, earning national, regional and state awards.
The IHM Sisters endorsed the Earth Charter.
Visitation North Spirituality Center opened in Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
Detroit Cristo Rey High School, co-sponsored by the IHM Sisters and Basilian Fathers, opened.
River House – IHM Spirituality Center opened in Monroe.
Lay residents were welcomed to recover from their post-hospital experience at the newly licensed and renovated IHM Senior Living Community.
La-Z-Boy, Inc., purchased 120 acres of land from the IHM Sisters for its new and environmentally friendly world headquarters.
– The Margaret Brennan IHM Institute for Spirituality, Church and Culture was created.
– IHM Senior Living Community became separately incorporated.
The Maxis Spirituality Center opened in Riverview, Mich.
– McGivney Way, the Memory Care Unit within IHM Senior Living Community, received Home for the Aged approval from the State of Michigan and offers quality care to lay residents with forms of dementia.
– The Monroe campus of the IHM Sisters became listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
– Construction for 19 independent living apartments began within the Motherhouse.