Marian (Flaviana) Harvey, IHM
Sister Marian was one of seven children, four boys, and three girls, of Richard and Mildred (Dooley) Harvey. She was born on Oct. 19, 1921, and given the name Marian. Marian attended several elementary schools including the Hall of the Divine Child and St. Mary Academy in Monroe. After graduation, she entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in Monroe in 1940 and received the religious name of Sister Flaviana.
Sister Marian earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Marygrove College. She taught in formal education for 29 years, in Michigan at Sacred Heart, Dearborn; St. Catherine, St. Rose and St. Raymond, Detroit; St. Joseph, Trenton; St. Frederick and St. Vincent, Pontiac; and in Ohio at St. Mark, Cleveland; and St. Mary Akron.
After four years of teaching at St. Raymond School in Detroit, Sister Marian continued her ministry in St. Raymond Parish, serving on the Christian Service Commission and in pastoral care of the sick/elderly. In 1980, she moved to Lake Orion, Mich., and became pastoral assistant at St. Joseph Parish. After eight years in parish ministry and two years as a social worker at Ortonville Nursing Home, she began ministering at Lake Orion Nursing Center as facility ombudsperson and social services, a position she held for the next 19 years. Sister Marian retired to the IHM Motherhouse in 2010.
Sister Marian is survived by her brother, Joseph, nieces and nephews and her sisters in community. She was preceded in death by her brothers, Richard, John and Edward, and her sisters, Margaret Mary and Fran.
Read her Remembering.