Previously Sponsored Schools
St. Mary Academy, Monroe, Mich. (1846 – 1988)
St. Mary Academy was established just two months after the IHM congregation was founded. It was a school for girls that grew into an elementary and high school, and for most of its history, it was a well-respected boarding school.
Because of the financial difficulties faced by parochial schools throughout Michigan, St. Mary Academy closed the grade school in 1970. As the number of boarders declined through the ’70s and ’80s, the IHM Sisters made the difficult decision to close the resident program in 1983.
Unfortunately, the number of day students also declined. In order to have a Catholic high school for young women, it was necessary to merge St. Mary Academy with Monroe Catholic Central, an all boys’ school. This happened in 1988, and the school became known as St. Mary Catholic Central High School.
Hall of the Divine Child, Monroe, Mich. (1918 – 1980)
Hall of the Divine Child was opened in 1918 as an elementary school for boys, both resident and day students.
The school eventually became a military school in 1936. The regulation drill uniform was adopted in 1938; the complete uniform became a school requirement in 1941, with the boys marching through the halls in full uniform to classes, meals and other events. Peak enrollment stood at 350 in the mid-1950s.
Gradually, though, enrollment declined and operational costs increased significantly. The school closed in 1980. The building was converted to an apartment complex for older adults and is known as “Norman Towers.”
Immaculata High School, Detroit (1941 – 1983)
Immaculata was opened with 529 students in the four classes. With Sister Anna Marie Grix as first principal and many excellent faculty members, students soon realized that they would need to do some serious studying to keep up with the demands of the faculty.
The results were well worth the effort though: Students and staff were very proud of the fact that almost all graduates went on to higher education. (They also were amazed that they found college or university was quite easy after the rigorous demands at IHS!)
With a declining enrollment through the 1970s and early ’80s, the school could not survive and was closed in 1983.
Immaculate Heart of Mary High School, Westchester, Ill. (1960 – 2005)
Immaculate Heart of Mary High School was built to serve 1,200 girls; it opened with 314 freshmen. At one point, IHM High School boasted nearly 1,400 students and 42 sisters, but that tapered off in the early 1970s – to a more manageable 1,000 or so.
IHM High School provided an extraordinary education, both academically and socially. Students participated in fundraising activities that helped the school community, such as establishing a scholarship fund, and contributed to national and global projects. Sadly, after 45 years of educating young women in the Chicago area, IHM High School closed at the end of the 2004-05 academic year after extensive efforts to boost enrollment and to collaborate with neighboring St. Joseph High School in a co-institutional project proved unsuccessful.
IHM High School deeply touched the lives of thousands of students and their parents, as well as faculty and staff. While the closing was a source of great sorrow, its rich legacy continues to be cause for gratitude and pride.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Middle School for Girls, Detroit (2001 – 2009)
With grades six through eight, this school in southwest Detroit sought to challenge girls who had the promise to become leaders in their communities. OLG was a collaborative project of four communities of religious women with a long tradition of educating girls and young women: Religious Sisters of Mercy, Regional Community of Detroit, Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Religious of the Sacred Heart, and by the collaboration of other women religious and lay women.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Middle School’s mission was to prepare girls for life in a learning environment that supports them in their personal, social, moral, and intellectual development, and positioned them to be successful in high school and beyond. With declining enrollment and increasing expenses, the school closed in 2009.