Ruth (Helen Ann) Glaser, IHM
Sister Ruth was one of seven children born to Joseph and Myrtle (Lathrop) Glaser of Detroit. She was born on November 20, 1924, and baptized Ruth Florence in St. Aloysius Church. The children attended Holy Redeemer Grade School. Ruth attended Girls’ Catholic Central High School and graduated from Immaculata High School, Detroit, in 1942. That summer she entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Monroe, and received the religious name, Sister Helen Ann.
Sister Ruth, as she was known, earned a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College and a master’s degree from the University of Detroit. She began her teaching ministry at St. John, Monroe; and taught at the Michigan schools of Holy Name, Birmingham; St. Michael, Flint; St. Matthew, All Saints, St. Agnes, Gesu, Mother of Our Savior and Immaculata High School, Detroit; for a ministry lasting 25-plus years.
In the late 1960s, she returned to study at Wayne State University and entered into a new specialty of clinical pastoral care, chaplaincy and hospital ministry with the Archdiocese of Detroit and for 15 years at Harper Hospital and Rehabilitation Institute, Detroit. After a year of renewal at St. Regis College, Toronto, Sister Ruth served as a chaplain and director of Pastoral Care at Bon Secours Hospital in Grosse Pointe.
She left this position to serve the congregation as assistant provincial of the Northeast Province. In 1990, Sister Ruth moved to Monroe and continued to serve her community in Pastoral Care for the Motherhouse and Health Care Center. Officially retiring in 1997, she continued to volunteer for the community, assisting as needed in Pastoral Care and in Archives. She moved to the Motherhouse in 2004.
Sister Ruth is survived by many nieces and nephews and her sisters in community. She was preceded in death by brothers Joseph, John and Robert; and sisters, Nancy Gifford, Mary Staff, and Helen (Sister Marianna) Glaser, IHM.
Read her Remembering here.