Rose Margaret West, IHM
Sister Rose Margaret was one of six daughters and six sons born to Martin and Frances (Leonard) West of St. Clair, Mich. She was born on Jan. 21, 1924, and attended Rural School in Croswell and St. Mary of Redford High School in Detroit. She entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe in 1944 and received the religious name, Sister Rose Margaret.
Sister Rose Margaret studied nursing at St. Charles Hospital in Toledo, Ohio and at St. Mary Infirmary (now the IHM Health Care Center). Her ministry spanned more than 58 years on the IHM campus in nursing, physical therapy, cardiovascular technology and podiatric care. With the exception of one year in her early career teaching sewing at St. Mary of Redford, Detroit, her ministry was dedicated to the IHM community of Monroe.
In 1975, Sister Rose Margaret spent a semi-sabbatical year working at the Father Hilarion Cheshire Home, a residential home for the elderly located on the island of Grenada, West Indies. She returned to Monroe and continued her ministry of health care. In 1998, she retired to part-time work and continued to volunteer wherever she could be of assistance.
Sister Rose Margaret is survived by her brothers, Bernard and Frederick; her sisters, Mary Catherine Quandt and Donna Wurmlinger; and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by brothers, Edward, Charles, Leo and Richard; sister Frances Fletcher, and twin sisters, Marian and Marie West. Read her Remembering.