Mary Pipis, IHM
Mary Therese Pipis was born in Monroe on July 29, 1927, to Melchior and Susanna (Nemeth) Pipis. Her parents, immigrants from Hungary, were married in St. Stephan Church, Toledo, Ohio. The family home on Vivian Street soon filled with two sons and five daughters. The children attended St. Mary Grade School. Mary continued on to St. Mary Academy and graduated in 1946. That summer, she entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Monroe, and received the religious name, Ann Michael.
As an elementary school teacher, Sister Mary was missioned to St. Peter Claver, Mobile, Ala.; Holy Redeemer, Miami; and in Michigan to St. John, Jackson; St. Charles, Newport; Holy Redeemer, Holy Rosary, St. George, St. Agnes and for 15 years at St. Cecilia, all in Detroit. She enjoyed teaching young students and was dedicated to their formation.
Sister Mary earned a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College and a master’s degree from Wayne State University, Detroit.
After a sabbatical in 1990, Sister Mary began a 20-year ministry serving the poor and homeless in Detroit, Clinton Township and Goderich, Ontario, Canada, where she lived for 10 years. After formally “retiring,” she continued this ministry in Goderich and later in Monroe through St. Mary Parish Soup Kitchen and as visitor to the sick and homebound. In 2009, she moved into the Motherhouse and considered herself retired in 2013. In her retirement, she prayed daily for community needs and world affairs and often visited residents in the IHM Health Care Center.
Sister Mary is survived by her sister, Helen Regelin, many nieces and nephews and her sisters in community. She was preceded in death by brothers, Steven and Julius; and sisters, Margaret Pichard, Rose Quell, Helen Pipis.
Read her Remembering.