Mary (Marie Rosary) Laird, IHM
Sister Mary was born in Detroit on Oct. 7, 1928, to Arlington and Marie (McCowell) Laird. Her parents were Canadian-born and moved to Detroit, where they married in 1920. Baptized Mary Patricia at St. Martin, Detroit, Mary attended St. Martin Grade and High Schools, graduating in 1947. That summer, Mary entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe and received the religious name Sister Marie Rosary. This year, she would have celebrated her 70th Jubilee as an IHM Sister.
After earning a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College, Sister Mary began a teaching ministry that spanned almost 50 years in elementary schools across Michigan: Annunciation, St. Agnes, St. Ambrose and St. Jude, Detroit; St. Michael, Flint; St. John, Jackson; Sacred Heart, Roseville; and St. Patrick, Wyandotte. Within these years, Sister Mary earned a Master of Arts degree in special education from Wayne State University. She was a beloved teacher of young students. She stated she retired in 1998, but continued to tutor, teach and volunteer at St. Jude and East Catholic School while residing in Harper Woods.
In 2005, Sister Mary, along with seven other IHM Sisters and Adrian Dominican Sisters, met to share a vision of ministry that emerged as a tutoring center for elementary children: the Epiphany Education Center. The center is dedicated to assisting elementary and middle school students achieve their potential through individualized programs. The center continues to operate at Samaritan Center and is a member of the Detroit Catholic Pastoral Alliance.
In need of more assistance with her health, Sister Mary moved to the IHM Motherhouse and Health Care Center, Monroe, in 2009.
Sister Mary is survived by several cousins and her sisters in community. She was preceded in death by her parents.
Read her Remembering.