Helen (Marie Vianney) Williams, IHM
Helen was born in Flint, Mich., Nov. 11, 1931, to Edward and Mary (Wentworth) Williams. She attended and graduated from St. Michael Schools (Flint) and entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe in 1949, receiving the religious name, Sister Marie Vianney.
Sister Helen earned a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College. In her early teaching career she taught elementary grades at St. Charles, Newport, Mich.; St. Mary of Redford, Detroit; and St. Anne, Warren, Mich., before spending the early 1960s at Assumption in Albuquerque, N. M. She returned to Michigan in 1967 and continued teaching at Detroit’s Most Holy Trinity and St. Patrick schools and also served as principal of St. Francis de Sales School.
In 1971, Sister Helen focused on pastoral ministry, religious education/administration. She served at St. Joseph, Erie; St. Lawrence, Utica; and St. Kevin, Inkster. She coordinated religious education and pastoral ministry for five or more years at Our Lady of Victory, Northville; at Our Lady Queen of Saints, Fraser; at St. Germaine, St. Clair Shores; at St. Catherine, Algonac; and at St. Angela in Roseville. She garnered many dear friends from those she met through her various ministries.
Sister Helen moved to the Motherhouse in 2007 and remained active in the IHM community and with friendships across Michigan.
Sister Helen was preceded in death by sisters, Rose Campbell and Mary Glesenkamp. She is survived by a niece and nephews; many friends and her sisters in community. Read her Remembering here.