Geraldine (Rose Philip) Demech, IHM
Sister Geraldine was born in Detroit on Jan. 10, 1934, to George Philip and Rose Alice (Tahash) Demech. She attended Precious Blood and graduated from Immaculata High School, Detroit, in 1951. Later that year, she entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe and received the religious name, Sister Rose Philip.
After earning a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College she began teaching the elementary grades at Hall of the Divine Child, Monroe; St. Patrick, Carleton; St. Mary, Wayne; St. Raymond, Detroit and St. Leonard, Warren. Known to many as “Sr. Gerry,” she recalled her years teaching at Immaculate Heart of Mary of Glen Lake in Minnetonka, Minn., as “four very happy years” in her career. Sister Gerry dedicated more than 21 years to St. Matthew School, Detroit, as a teacher and later as a volunteer. Her love of teaching young children remained throughout her career.
Later in life, her care for others was evident among visitors to the Motherhouse, residents and employees of IHM. Sister Gerry retired to the Motherhouse in 1997, where she remained active volunteering in the IHM community.
Sister Gerry was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by several cousins and her sisters in community. Read her Remembering here.