Dorothy (Rozalia) Eddy, IHM
Sister Dorothy was one of three daughters of John and Florence (Maurice) Eddy. She was born on July 24, 1922 in Flint, Mich. and baptized Dorothy. After attending Croak Elementary School, Flint, she graduated from St. Michael High School, Flint. In 1941, Sister Dorothy entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe and received the religious name Sister Rozalia; she celebrated her 75th Jubilee as an IHM in July 2016.
Sister Dorothy earned a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College, Detroit. Her teaching career in formal education spanned 35 years at St. Joseph, Monroe; Our Lady of Help, St. Raymond, Holy Trinity, Christ the King and Holy Redeemer, Detroit; Holy Name, Birmingham; St. Michael, Flint; and St. Michael, Miami, Fla.- After 12 years at St. Michael the Archangel School in Miami, Sister Dorothy moved to Blessed Sacrament School in Burlington, N.C.- She taught there for one year before transitioning into a pastoral assistant position, working with the senior citizens in the parish for the next three years.
In 1983, Sister Dorothy returned to the IHM Motherhouse and ministered in the Health Care Center (former St. Mary Infirmary) and in art therapy for some 14 years. In 1997, she began ministry as activities and pastoral director for the Motherhouse sisters. Sister Dorothy retired from this position in 2001 but continued her art therapy and volunteering around the Motherhouse. She could often be found in the Art Room, working in ceramics or teaching others the art.
Sister Dorothy was preceded in death by her sisters, Marguerite Terrian and Doreen “Mary Lou” Eddy, IHM. She is survived by her sisters in community and her nieces and nephews.
Read her Remembering.