Corita Lear, IHM
Sister Corita was one of six children, four boys and two girls, born to Joseph and Catherine (Tuschinger) Lear. She was born on March 17, 1923, in Ford City, Pa., and given the name Mildred. She attended St. Paul and St. Mary Elementary Schools and St. Mary High School all in Akron, Ohio. She completed her high school education and graduated from St. Mary Academy, Monroe. Mildred entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in Monroe in 1939, and received the religious name, Sister Corita.
Sister Corita earned a bachelor’s degree from Marygrove College and a masters’ degree from Wayne State University, Detroit. She ministered in formal education as a teacher for 35 years, in Michigan at St. Mary, Marshall; St. Patrick, Carleton; Holy Redeemer, All Saints, St. Catherine, St. Cecilia and St. Rose, Detroit; St. Joseph, Monroe; and St. Charles, Coldwater. She taught in Ohio at St. Mary, Akron; St. Mary, Lorain; St. Mark, Incarnate Word, Corpus Christi and St. John Nepomucene, Cleveland; Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Wickliffe; and St. Clare in Lyndhurst.
In 1977, Sister Corita began pastoral ministry of the sick and elderly through St. Gregory the Great Parish in South Euclid, Ohio. As a pastoral minister, she visited and cared for the sick and elderly for 10 years. She continued her ministry as a volunteer, caring for the aged, in-home health care and family care in Ohio and Pinellas Park and St. Petersburg, Fla. Sister Corita enjoyed reading, sewing and scrapbooking. In 2006, she retired to the IHM Motherhouse and entered the IHM Health Care Center in 2008.
Sister Corita is survived by nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her brothers, Raymond, Jerome, Armand and Wilbert, and sister, Winifred Yeager. Read the Remembering.