The CENA is responsible for providing direct nursing care under the direction and supervision of licensed nursing personnel and in accordance with policies and procedures.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform or assist resident in bathing, dressing, grooming, oral care, personal hygiene, toilet functions, and nail, foot, and skin care.
- Assist with admission, transfer and/or discharge of residents as directed by nurse in charge.
- Assist with meal service, including passing and serving of trays, feeding, and timely pick up. Offer fluids and nourishment to residents throughout the shift when appropriate. Provide after-meal care as needed.
- Perform specialized care for residents.
- Assist with care of dying residents and post-mortem care.
- Assist with lifting, turning, moving, positioning, and transporting residents. Follow proper body mechanics and use appropriate lift equipment as needed.
- Report all accidents/incidents, changes in a resident’s condition, or complaints/grievances of residents to nurse in charge.
- Maintain intake and output records on residents as instructed.
- Take residents’ vital signs and record as instructed.
- Assist in carrying out rehabilitative procedures such as range of motion exercises, walking, turning and positioning, bowel and bladder training, use of assistive devices, feeding and re-learning ADL skills.
- Change and make beds.
- Keep residents’ rooms and belongings neat, clean, and orderly.
- Clean and disinfect equipment as instructed.
- Use supplies appropriately and replenish them in residents’ rooms.
- Assume responsibility for understanding and using equipment safely and supplies properly.
- Transport residents to other departments/areas as instructed.
- Answer call-lights promptly.
- Attend scheduled inservice and staff meetings as requested.
- Cooperate with personnel from other departments to ensure quality nursing care.
- Create and maintain a positive attitude and interest in the unit.
- Participate in nursing report as requested.
- Observe policies and procedures regarding use of gowns and gloves, isolation areas and the washing of hands.
- Report any communicable or infectious disease contracted.
- Review care plans regularly to ensure that appropriate nursing care is given each resident.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Responsible for laundry: gathering, washing, drying, and distributing to the proper place.
- Communicate regularly with the nurse in charge regarding the needs of the residents and/or the unit.
- Prefer current unencumbered Michigan Nurse Aid certification, Competency Evaluated Nursing Assistant (CENA) required.
- Previous experience with geriatric residents preferred.
- Ability to learn, understand and support the IHM mission and values.
- Ability to approach people in a manner that creates harmony, promotes cooperation, and encourages feelings of acceptance and self-worth.
- Ability to recognize needs and desires of others, approachability, a positive attitude, courtesy and respect toward others.
- Willingness to listen and a desire to understand what is communicated.
- Ability to accept and cooperate with change in work and/or procedures. Willingness to incorporate new methods and principles into existing nursing practices.
- Ability to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Flexibility in adjusting to work schedules as needed.
- Good general health and emotional stability.
- Ability to relate to the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and, at times, hostile residents.
- Ability to reach above shoulder level and to lift up to 60-70 pounds.
- Shift differentials for afternoon and midnight as well as weekends
- Attendance bonus program
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off such as personal use including vacation, illness and family needs, bereavement, and holidays (Full-time employees)
- Parking, on-site
- Retirement/Pension Plan
- Wellness Program
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
Nursing care is provided 24/7.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume either by email at email@example.com or mail to:
610 W. Elm Avenue
Monroe, MI 48162
Application review to begin immediately.