Margaret (Joseph Raphael) Dowd, IHM
Sister Margaret was born on Nov. 27, 1932, in Port Huron, Mich., to John M. and Mary A. (Kennedy) Dowd. Her parents and 10 siblings were members of St. Stephen Parish and the children attended St. Stephen Grade School and High School in Port Huron. After graduation in 1950, Margaret entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Monroe, and received the religious name Sister Joseph Raphael.
As a young IHM, Sister Margaret earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Marygrove College, Detroit. She entered the field of education in 1954 and taught at St. Hugo of the Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.; Christ the King, St. Martin and St. Rose, Detroit; and for five years at St. Mary, Akron, Ohio. From 1966 to 2013, Sister Margaret’s ministries remained in Port Huron: as a teacher at St. Stephen High School and as a campus minister at St. Clair County Community College and the John Courtney Newman Center. In 1991, she became co-director of the John Courtney Newman Center and continued in this ministry until 2004. She then spent several years as co-director of Campus Ministry for the Archdiocese of Detroit.
Sister Margaret remained in the Port Huron area, ministering as a volunteer where needed. In 2016, she retired to the Motherhouse and joined the IHM Senior Living Community.
Sister Margaret is survived by many nieces and nephews and her sisters in community. She was preceded in death by brothers, William, Denis, John, Charles and Joseph, C.M.; and sisters, Genevieve, Ellyn G. Bates, Madeline (Sister John Baptist, OP); and Mary T. Railian.
Read her Remembering.